CaribSea Purple Up uses a dual method approach to grow coralline algae in marine aquariums and to boost calcium levels in reef aquariums. This beneficial additive accelerates desirable pink and purple coralline algae growth.
Purple Up uses ionic calcium to instantly raise dissolved calcium levels in aquarium water, while also adding Super Sea Calcium™ (a 10 micron aragonite powder derived from natural seawater) to target the surface of live rock. This allows essential calcium, strontium, magnesium, and carbonate to be delivered right where they're needed. And by replenishing iodine, Purple Up also provides an essential element for coralline algae tissues which becomes depleted if not regularly supplied.
Note: Purple Up is not a fertilizer and will not promote the growth of nuisance algae.
Factors for Best Coralline Algae Growth:
* Purple Up does not contain coralline algae. Some coralline algae must already be living on rocks or aquarium glass.
* High dissolved phosphate levels inhibit the growth of coralline algae (and corals) and favors the growth of nuisance algaes. Check phosphate levels and use Phos-Buster or other products to lower phosphate levels if necessary.
* Carbonate hardness levels should be maintained at natural seawater levels or higher.
* High nitrogenous waste levels encourage nuisance algae growth, keep nitrogenous waste levels in check.
* Keep pH in the range of normal seawater (8.2).
* Light spectrum in the range of 5500°K or higher favors the growth of coralline algae.
* Grazing animals such as snails, tangs, and reef friendly hermit crabs encourage coralline algae by consuming competing fast growing nuisance algaes.
* Coralline algaes have a life cycle that determines the speed of formation of new colonies. Different species of coralline algaes may grow at different rates. It is not unusual to take several months for pink and purple coralline algaes to reach rapid growth rates.
Directions: Use 5 ml (1 capful) per 50 gallons once daily. Shake well before use. Add 1 capful (5 ml) per 50 gallons no more than once daily. Place in the sump, near a powerhead outlet, or any high flow area of the system for rapid dispersal. Purple Up will cause some temporary cloudiness. Check calcium levels regularly. Adjust dosage of Purple Up to maintain calcium levels between 380 ppm and 420 ppm (380 mg/L to 420 mg/L). Do not exceed 420 ppm on a regular basis or significant precipitation will occur. (IMPORTANT! Wait at least 1 hour after using Purple Up to test calcium levels or erroneously high calcium levels may be indicated).